Before buying every product, we should check the ingredients of them thoroughly. And knowing the harmful ingredients is a smart job. You’re the most trustworthy person of your cat. So you have to ensure its security and good health. There are so many cat food brands in the market.
They market their products announcing as the best. They tell you the best of it instead of hiding the harmful ingredients. That’s why before buying your cat’s food you must know which ingredients are harmful to your buddy. I am here to show them their harmful effects. So let’s see which they’re:
Normally most of the cat food Feed-grade foods are low-quality food because it has the allowance of all harmful ingredients like toxins such as mold produced mycotoxins. Besides according to the National Agricultural Law Center, feed-grade food having the meat meals come from the dead animals of farms or animal shelters or any food wastage of restaurants and stores.
Dry foods or canned foods are cooked at a very high temperature for killing bacteria which damage the beneficial enzymes and protein. So you should buy human-grade food for your cat buddy. The brand which offers you high-quality food and processed with perfect temperature will be your main choice.
Chemicals & Preservatives
Chemical and Preservatives both are harmful to you and your pet also. Some high-quality brands offer natural ingredients with natural preservatives. But you should avoid the three nasty preservatives for your pet’s safe health. They’re Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA), Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT), and Ethoxyquin.
BHA and BHT both are harmful chemicals that can cause kidney effects and liver damage. It is a carcinogen and reproductive toxicant. Another chemical preservative we must avoid is Ethoxiquin which is illegal to use in human food but legally used in pet food. The anti-freeze products are normally toxic and filled with the chemical. And antifreeze products will not improve your pet’s health.
Food Dye or Colors
The six colors -Blue 2, Red 40, and Yellow 5 and 6 are sensitive having allergic-type reactions, behavioral problems, and cancer in humans. Besides artificial color appeals only to humans, not pets, so there is no need to use any color or dye to pet food. The artificial dye damage the authenticity of any food.
Must Avoid Ingredients
If you tell me to shorten a list of avoided ingredients, they will be:
- Corn and wheat gluten: Some pets can differently react to gluten. If any sensitive cat eats gluten, it can cause fatigue, bloating, alternating constipation, or diarrhea.
- Meat and grain meals and by-products: Processed meat and grain meals basically come from dead animals or wastage. So before buying check the brand’s guarantee of quality and authenticity.
- BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole): A harmful preservative
- BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene): A harmful preservative
- Ethoxyquin: An illegal preservative
- Food Dyes (Blue 2, Red 40, Yellow 5 and 6, 4-MIE): Having a sensitive and allergic reaction
- PG (Propylene Glycol): A harmful glycerin to soften food
- Rendered fat: A source of micro-organisms (Salmonella, etc.) and toxins
- Glucose and Dextrose: Can cause obesity and diabetes
In fine, we can say that when you buy your pet food there are things to look for and things to avoid. It is the best way to provide the best care to your cat for its healthy body. You don’t need so many ingredients but have some fresh, safe, nutritious ingredients which can ensure your cat’s good health.
You should also avoid the ingredients which are allergic to your cat. Sometimes your pet has an allergy to any protein. You should avoid it as soon as possible. A healthy diet is our main goal. Cats food having low fat, low carbohydrate, and high protein is the best food. I have recommended your cat a healthy bowl of energy.